House St. Clair: There's a hole in my ceiling, dear liza, dear liza

Saturday, February 10, 2007

There's a hole in my ceiling, dear liza, dear liza

Well, a crack, at least, and quite a large one.

See, in my formal dining room there was a leak at one point where the water blew up under the flashing of the front porch and onto the bay window. (I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.) This leaked once last winter--my Dad cleaned out my downspout and the gutter and all has been well since then.

Tonight, on a quest for a roll of tape (which I thought I had left in the dining room), I walked in to chaos. My Night-Blooming Cereus was on the floor and one of the ceiling tiles was beneath it.

The strange thing is that the Cereus is on the other end of the conservatory portion of the dining room, away from those particular ceiling tiles. Weird.

Luckily, it didn't end up with much damage; I'll have to cut off and plant the pieces that snapped. But the ceiling tile split in half, and was wet as well, although the ceiling itself and the ceiling tiles around it were dry. So I'm hoping the leak hasn't returned, and the wetness on the rug and the ceiling tile was from the plant. We'll see.

I'm not sure when it happened, since I haven't been in the dining room since Monday. But I would have thought we would have heard the crash--it had to be loud!

So I got my ladder, felt the ceiling tiles, felt no wetness at all, then decided that I might as well pull a couple more down while I was at it. And I found out I was right--when they put the 'dropped' ceiling in, they didn't really drop the ceiling. It's about an inch lower than the regular ceiling, which is painted that pussywillow purple color that used to be so popular way back when. There are boards stretched across the whole thing, which much have taken forever to put up. And everything is screwed in, too. It looks so lovely. (NOT!)

So anyway, I guess I'll have to clean up tomorrow, since I'm not going to clean it up tonight. Just what I wanted to do! *sigh*

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

I'm glad it's not a leak!

They did the same thing in my house by putting 1x2's across the ceilings and stapling/nailing up ceiling tiles. They are really pretty....

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Mine aren't pretty. If they were, I wouldn't care! :)

It doesn't help that three out of the four rooms these tiles are in have water damage, so the tiles are ruined. If I'm going to have to replace them, I might as well just take them all down.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home