House St. Clair: The Entry Room

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Entry Room


There are two lists for my house. What I would like to do and What I can do right now that will work until I can do what I'd like to do.

What I would like to do in the entry room is build a floor to ceiling closet with a hall tree that has a bench on one end that looks nice and has enough room to store things like the sweeper and my stepladders, etc. (On the wall in the picture.)

What I can do is rearrange furniture to make the room more functional vs. just a place to stick various piles of stuff that have no place at the moment.

What I did was swap Ethan's computer table (an old Arts & Crafts desk that someone sawed the legs off of a long time ago--just the right height for a four-year-old) with my typewriter desk and a so close to matching that it could have been built for that purpose stick bookcase, thus creating a nice little spot to keep all my cookbooks together, along with a desk to sit down and look for recipes. That also freed up about a shelf and a half in the kitchen, where we'll eventually put our cereal and suchlike in glass jars.

I still have a lot to do in this room, organizing-wise; I have to get all our junk mail off the mail table and take it to work to be shredded, I have to figure out how to organize my shipping boxes for ebay, and I have to finish painting the cute white cabinet that Mom and Dad found at the yard sales a couple of weeks ago. But the cabinet now has a place in the Entry Room, Ethan's computer looks great on the other wall (the wall where the piano was supposed to have gone) and I really really like my cookbook nook.

My idea (I came up with this Friday at work) didn't quite work out all the way, since I thought the wall was longer than it actually was, but I had thought to move Mabel's crate out from the wall and put a very tall set of shelves behind it that could hold my boxes and possibly make room for the sweeper and the ladders (unobtrusively; at the moment the ladders are hidden behind the door.) Unfortuantely, there isn't enough room to move Mabel's crate out from the wall at all, since the bookcase was an add-on idea at the last minute. So I'm still trying to work that out.

I moved the eventual bathroom sink into the bathroom, and it's #1 on my list of things to do ASAP, since the door won't open all the way now and it's going to drive me nuts. However, at least it's in the right room now.

(I need Dad's help for this, since I have no idea what I need to buy/how to switch out a sink. And since it's our only working bathroom sink, it's important that we do it right the first time.)

So. I think October is going to be my work in the house month; I'd like to get the wallpaper finished in the kitchen and paint my hallway too, both things I had hoped to get done much earlier in the year. I also have to start making things for both craft shows in October--in truth, I should have started already, but I haven't. So it's going to be a busy month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home