House St. Clair: It's Plywood! And Kitchen Flooring...

Monday, September 25, 2006

It's Plywood! And Kitchen Flooring...

Okay, my kitchen has ugly vinyl flooring that is probably 20 years old and is worn down in places, and is in terrible shape from my dog's nails and pretty impossible to get and keep clean.

Underneath is two more vinyl floors, and then plywood. So that means I can do anything I want--within budget.

Considering I don't have a budget, this is going to be interesting.

So I am looking for suggestions. Whatever it is has to be dark in color--NOT WHITE; I am sick of white because of the cleanliness issues. Whatever it is has to be self-installable, and fairly simple to do so, since it will be my Dad and me installing it. Dad has the knowledge, I just do what I'm told. ;)

Whatever it is has to go fairly well with the old green and cream/tan linoleum in the entry room--that's why I'm thinking dark in color too. Whatever it is has to be strong enough to withstand my dog's drooling tendancies and her claws. And hairballs, etc., from the cats.

So am I dreaming? Mom and Dad have hardwood floors in their kitchen--that is what I would like to have, of course, but that's not going to happen on my teensy non-existant budget.

For reference, the cabinets are medium-brown, the walls are blue. I am thinking that a slate gray color would probably work. Any suggestions?

EDITED to add: I should probably say that my kitchen is huge, like 11' x 16'. The vinyl flooring in the kitchen is also in the laundry room, which used to be part of the kitchen (They installed a wall to separate the 'rooms'. So we're not talking about a teensy little space here at all.

6 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I know what you mean about tight budgets. However, with a little luck and some sucky grunt-work, you can get a wood floor for free.

The pine floor in our kitchen was salvaged from an old house in town slated for demolition. The owners let us have it for free, all we had to do was pull it out & haul it away.

And, it can easily be reinstalled with two people.

It might not be an option for you, but I thought I would hurt to mention it anyhow.

Good luck.

3:02 PM  
Blogger John said...

Oops. Make that last sentence, "...I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it anyhow."

Sorry.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Troy Farwell said...

You could consider vinyl resiliant tile sqaures - I have had good luck with the Armstrong brand. Price range is anywhere from $1 to $3 a square foot.

They are pretty easy to install yourself, you just need a straight-edge, tape measure and razor knife.

Good luck
TTF

My blog: 10K Kitchen Remodel

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

$1-$3 a square foot is in my price range. I looked at the cool MiYO flooring today and it's definitely NOT in my price range!

John, I would do that too, and there was some on freecycle a while back, but it wasn't nearly enough. But thanks for the advice! I like your house. :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

I would love to have wood floors in my kitchen! We ended up going with tile, but I would have loved to match the wood floor of the dining room... If only budget wasn't an option!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kitchen flooring has become a very important focal point for the home these days especially for the modern kitchens. You can get flooring available in different choices select the one that will make your kitchen look more attractive.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home