House St. Clair: The House of Clutter

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The House of Clutter

I think I should rename my house the Clutter House or something. You see, I am either cursed or blessed with the antique gene--that particular heritage where you never accept the price marked unless, of course, the price marked is fairly close to free. My family was big on antiquing before the word was invented. I grew up living with, eating on, sleeping in, and using antiques.

I have collections of my own, like typewriters, teapots, old books, vintage quilts and fabrics and yarns and clothing--just anything that catches my fancy, really. My Dad has his clocks (over a hundred, with some of them ending up in my house) and his good antiques; I tend to keep my money close and try to spend as little as possible (unless I know it's really a bargain) since I don't have a lot of spending money in the first place.

Soon after I first moved in, my parents' neighbors came to call. They expressed surprise that the house was full already--I think they thought my stuff in the black hole that was Storage wasn't nearly as bad as I made it out to be. But they were right--I had furniture, knicknacks, and stuff (and books) in every room.

It's getting a bit bad lately. I can't turn down a bargain, especially if I have the money and I know it's a bargain. But the stuff is piling up in various rooms around the house, so I'm turning to my old nemesis Ebay again to get rid of some of it--especially the stuff I bought to sell in the first place!

So I'm going to try setting aside one evening a week for ebaying. One evening a week (Wednesday evenings) to post 4-6 auctions, so I can start to get rid of stuff over the fall and winter.

Selling it, of course, will just help my pocketbook recover from all the bargains I've found this year. And, even better, selling this stuff that I can part with will mean more room for other things that I might not want to part with.

No one needs five copper teapots, especially if you don't really like one of them. You know what I mean?

So if anyone reading this happens to like antiques and collectibles, my ebay name is 'jennifer'. Yes, just jennifer. I've been on ebay absolutely forever. I chose my userid the day they changed from your email address to userids, way back when. I really wanted 'jen', but unfortunately, someone beat me to it, so I had to settle for 'jennifer'. But I digress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home