House St. Clair: Question? For anyone who knows...

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Question? For anyone who knows...

Okay, so in my entry room (the room you walk in through the side door and the room we figure was originally the kitchen, since the kitchen was built on much later) there is a butt-ugly plastic floor that is supposed to look like wood.

I have always assumed there was a wood floor underneath--the rest of the house is oak--because if you look in the crawlspace, there is wood there.

Today while cleaning, I am going to say oops, my sweeper snagged on a loose piece of flooring and lie through my teeth, but anyway, this is what I found after some destruction:

Pardon my flash, it's a dark corner. And the tiles are filthy--I even wiped them off before taking a picture. Yuck!

Now. My question is, should I continue? I really don't have any money to replace the floor. The colors are nice enough--and the few tiles I've uncovered aren't in bad shape. Of course I haven't uncovered many tiles at all.

Can anyone take a guess as to how old this floor is? Is it linoleum? Or something else? It is ceramic-y like when I tap on it with my pry bar tool.

My upstairs bathroom has butt-ugly tiles similar to these, but in brown:

Do you think the floors were put on at the same time? This was the original bathroom upstairs--the downstairs bathroom was probably added on the same time as the kitchen.

So what do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

I think it's Linoleum and maybe there's wood underneath that. Can you tell maybe by looking at the level of the floors from room to room? Are these rooms higher?

The bad news is that if it is old lineoleum, it probably contains asbestos. Don't be too alarmed though because as long as it does not become airbourne it's not so dangerous. But if you do remove it yourself, make sure and wet it down, keep the room well ventilated and hopefully it isn't glued to the wood floor beneath it and you can just break it out in big chunks and get it out of the room.

If you're really worried about the asbestos, you can take a piece and have it tested at a lab.

If you want to just cover the whole thing up (which some prefer to dealing with the Asbestos), an inexpensive option that is period looking would be vinyl tiles. Armstrong makes some nice colors and you could do checkerboard- very inexpensive option.

We were going to do just that until we ripped ours up and discovered nice maple floors underneath!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Dad warned me about the asbestos. I didn't see anything odd in what I was tearing up, so I think I'm ok with that.

I actually think I'll leave the linoleum in place for now. I kind of like it! Although there are wood floors under that--one tile came up with the others (in one piece) under the radiator and I was able to see the floor underneath.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I agree it's cool old linoleum!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home