House St. Clair: Yard sales!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Yard sales!

Yard sale season is one of my favorite seasons. Not that you can tell, of course. :)

It goes hand-in-hand with auction season, which is also upon us.

This weekend was the Georgetown Yard Sales. I took Carrotcake cupcakes (baked from scratch, with Orange Cream Cheese Icing--yum) up to the church yard sale this morning and decided to drive around the block or so to go to a couple of yard sales before I went back home. I also had to get gas for the lawn mower too, and I wanted to get all my errands done at once.

Well, the first yard sale I stopped at (I passed a couple with only clothes and stuff I wasn't interested in) filled my car.

For $10.

I now have a new bathroom sink (or will, once we install it.)

I am not usually a fan of doing this to poor, defenseless sewing machines. Especially treadle machines, which are maligned anyway. However, I did also buy the sewing machine itself, for someone who is looking for one to put into a treadle machine he recently refinished and repaired.

I couldn't pass it up. Seriously. If I had been broker than broke, I still couldn't have passed it up. Do you want to know why?

I said I filled up my car for $10. There was a $1.00 price tag on this. :)

And I beat the dealers, who came up right behind me to look at it, too. I beat the dealers! Hahaha!

So the sink built into a sewing machine base (and all the pieces and plumbing thingys are there as far as I can tell) cost me $1.00. I bought the actual sewing machine for $5, two rugs for $1 each, and two tins for $1 each.

This will replace the current setup (don't mind the mess, please), which looks like this:


Don't you agree that it will be an improvement?

Oh, and the nice thing is that it's oak (at least I think it's oak--I'm not very good at this, but my house has all oak floors, so I tend to know oak, at least) so it will match the nice oak cabinet over the toilet.

And then I can work on replacing the fugly medicine cabinet, the toilet, and eventually, the tub/shower. Which are also pink. *shudder*

Other than those things, I bought a very deep bundt pan (I think that's what they are called) for $.50, and eight old bottles for $1/each. Six of the bottles are cobalt blue, so they will go in my windowsills. :)

(This makes me feel better for not buying the $30 antique sink at Burlington last weekend. I drooled over that sink. It had cool, original knobs. It even had one marked 'WASTE'. But it also weighed about 300 lbs, and as Dad said, even for $30, there was no way we'd ever get it into his car.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home