House St. Clair: Curses to the Dragon Smaug!

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Curses to the Dragon Smaug!

For some reason, as I remove the wallpaper in my hallway (my wing of the house hallway, that is) that phrase keeps running through my mind. Maybe I've been writing too much lately or something; I don't know.

Today, in between chapters, I decided that I might as well start pulling off more of the wallpaper in my hallway. I started doing this a couple of months ago, since I figured that if I didn't start now I'd be dead before all the wallpaper is gone from my house, but I hadn't made much progress since then.

(You all are going to get pretty tired of me talking about wallpaper, I think.)

This is three layers down. At the moment, the current layer is just peeling off in sheets, which is nice. Under that is light blue where they painted over it at some point, and then there and layers under that as well, including the Dark Green Wallpaper of Doom, which I haven't been able to uncover a big enough piece of to take pictures of yet.


You can see a small strip of the DGWoD in this picture. The grey color is the plaster, the white in the picture is actually the light blue painted wallpaper.

I figured I might as well start in my hallway because it's accessible (I can reach the ceiling without too much trouble and a small stepladder) and if I screw something up with the patching and paint job, the bookcases should cover up my mistakes. This is my practice run. I should be an expert by the time I'm finished, since I have sooooo much wallpaper. (That nice white ceiling is painted wallpaper. Yes. How anyone actually managed to wallpaper ceilings, I will never know.)



Again, the white in the picture (pardon my flash; it's a dark hallway) is the light blue. So I have a lot of work to do.

You can see the lovely pink wallpaper in my studio/office in this picture as well. It's actually not in bad shape, and my bedroom and the office will probably be two of the last rooms I work on.


My supervisor--aka, Mabel--isn't very pleased with my progress yet today. She would rather me be finished so she could reclaim her rug in my hallway and not have to listen to me curse. Considering that my weapon of choice in removing wallpaper is a butter knife (I can't find my paint scraper) I think I'm actually getting a lot done.

If I could only train the cats to scratch the walls...

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

This brings back memories. I spent…..a year or more stripping wallpaper off plaster. I became a bit obsessed with it. I can remember when I was doing the front parlor, I would be getting ready to go to bed at 10:00 or so. As I passed by the front parlor I would see a small piece of wallpaper that was turned up just a bit. I would go in and start pulling at it and the next thing I know it’s 11:30 and I’m still pulling at wallpaper.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lol. I hope I don't get obsessed, but considering how much I pulled off today, I think I'm doomed!

I am saving scraps, though, for posterity.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home