House St. Clair: Wallpaper!

Monday, March 06, 2006

Wallpaper!

I have enough wallpaper removal to do to last me the next ten years. All the rooms in the house except for two bedrooms, the living room, and what we call the Green Room (Yes, it's green, but not a color I'd ever choose) are covered in multiple layers of wallpaper.

One of the POs even nicely painted over the wallpaper in the hallway at one time, which consists of at least six layers. (I peeled six layers apart once, early on, just to see the patterns.) I think the dining room has about eight layers.

My plaster walls have never been painted, so that will definitely be interesting to do. :)

So today after I discovered that I inadvertently damaged part of the damaged dining room floor (the 'conservatory' part of the dining room where all my plants reside for the winter) I peeled the wallpaper away from under the bay window, because I was just disgusted with myself for not realizing that a clay saucer will make a mark on wood and that after sitting on said wood for the last few months, it will bleach and mildew the wood so I have a nice circle of yuck, and I was sick and tired of the sagging wallpaper.

I pulled, and about five feet of wallpaper came free, all the way behind the radiator. (Why they would put a radiator in a bay window, I'll never know.)

I then picked at some on the wall where it was starting to peel off.

The plaster walls don't look to be in bad shape. There are cracks, of course, but not major ones, and they are lily white. Even the wallpaper paste of yore did not stick.

I know I have a lot of work ahead of me--did I mention that the ceilings upstairs (hallway ceiling and two bedrooms) are also wallpapered? And painted?--but I have plenty of time to do it.

Although I will admit that the varying layers of wallpaper showing in the dining room would be a good history lesson, if I could date them.

"And this is how the dining room looked in 1924..."

(I did keep a piece of the old and nasty carpet to show visitors what was covering my beautiful oak floors since before 1978.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Neat-o! I would like to see a picture of that. :)

I am trying to figure out what I want to do in there eventually; definitely some sort of interesting treatment on the walls.

I will remember the joint compound.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home