House St. Clair: Cleaning the Bathroom

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Cleaning the Bathroom

My house has two 'full' bathrooms. The downstairs bathroom is pink and green and the upstairs bathroom is pretty old, with a three-legged clawfoot tub, an old but cool sink, and a toilet that tends to overflow if you go #2, according to the PO. (I've never actually put that to a test.)

We don't use the upstairs bathroom. With only three of us in the house, we've never really had any reason to, so it's been the home to the upstairs litterboxes and Hildy-the-hedgehog's cage for a while now. It's also been getting filthier and filthier.

Oh, I should probably add that the hot water is turned off in the upstairs bathroom. Early on, Dad turned it on and it started spraying everywhere. It probably has something to do with the way the plumbing was put together. We will fix it eventually.

The upstairs bathroom is in my 'wing' of the house, so of course I get to clean it.

Here are some during/after pics:

The 'tile' is actually fake--it's wallboard or something and will be *cough* quite fun to take down. As you can see, I had a couple of helpers, although they were more interested in checking out the birds out back and the clean sink.

(Cleome is on the back of the toilet and Chloe is in the sink.)

Before I started, Hildy's cage was straddling the tub. It wasn't the best of setups, but it worked for the most part until I got the idea that I could put the cage overtop the litterboxes--if it fit. As you can see in the next picture, it's a bit tight.


As in, if the toilet was any further over, it wouldnt' have fit. Luckily, I can fit between the tub and the cage just fine.

Don't you just love that wonderful tile on the floor? As far as I can tell, there's hardwood underneath. Probably more oak, like the rest of the house.

That is Cleo's tail, and Misty the kitten.

You can't really see her, but Hildy's in the little pink house.

There are two litterboxes in the bathroom. Since the round one fit quite well in the corner under/beside the sink, guess where the other one went?

Okay, don't kill me. I know it's an antique tub. I know. But I can't take a bath upstairs anyway (at least not at the moment) so...

There's some good points about this--it will virtually eliminate the tracked litter I kept having to clean up on the floor (hence the reason why the floor was so filthy.)

Again, don't you just love that tile?

We will have some old water leakage problems to repair once we take the floor up, because the PO didn't take her own advice to go downstairs to the bathroom.

Instead, she let the toilet overflow many, many times, in fact, badly enough that there's a nice large expanse of water stains on the dropped ceiling in the entry room below.

Luckily, there's nothing sitting below the clawfoot tub, so if the floor is really rotten and it ever falls through, it will just end up in the crawlspace. (I'm kidding, really. There's probably a hole, but I don't believe it's that extensive. *crossing fingers*)
This project, of course, will have to wait until I can save up some money, because I have a feeling it's not going to be easy or pretty.

There is a nice built-in cabinet in the bathroom--someone defaced it with a wooden mirror long ago. But here's a not-too-great picture of it:


It might be original to the house, but I'm not sure. It's hard to tell.

I will, of course, eventually either take off that mirror or make it so it doesn't look so terrible on the cabinet.

The radiator is under the cabinet. It's a small one, but the bathroom heats up really well in winter, so Hildy is happy, since she needs more heat.

That is my elbow in the picture. :)

And since my office is unheated (the radiator in here leaked at one point, so it's unhooked) that helps as well. Although I really don't think my office got much colder than 62 all winter long this year.

It was so hot in the bathroom while I was cleaning it that I opened the window. It's raining outside, but it's not that cold. The fresh was very nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home